CHIMBU has recorded 40 Coronavirus (Covid-19)-related deaths since the start of September, according to the Simbu health authority.
During an awareness campaign on the Covid-19 at Kuglbagl Market on Tuesday, authority director curative services Dr Raymond Saulep told people that since the last surge experienced on Sept 8-9, there were 40 deaths, 981 positive cases with 37 being frontline health workers.
He said a few positive tests and deaths had occurred until the September surge, and that rate since then, was maintained until this month.
Dr Saulep encouraged the people to practise the “new normal” at all times by wearing masks, maintaining social distance and washing hands. He also encourages the people to get vaccinated and be free of the Covid-19.
“Do not listen to people with vested interest spreading false information on social media, confusing people,” he said.
Dr Saulep was part of the top management team from the health authority management conducting awareness on the Covid 19 in the six Chimbu districts. Awareness team leader and authority chief executive officer Dr Francis Wandi said people were being convinced by social media posts on negative aspects of vaccination.
He said when his officers visited rural health posts for routine baby immunisation programmes, people thought the Covid-19 vaccines were being administered and chased the officers away.
“We are going into a six-week of the Covid-19 awareness message and ask the people to leave health officers alone when they go into the districts for normal immunisation programmes for babies,” he said.
“As a result of this, there is an outbreak of measles in the northern end of Chimbu at Mondia Pass and Upper Bundi in Madang.”
The National / PNG Health Watch
Next : Restrictions Help Province Contain Covid-19 Transmission
PNG Health News
This websites provides all the latest Health News , insurance, health tips, health a nd scholarships in Papua New Guinea
Healths News and Tips in Your Email: Subscribe Now